MEOC is happy to welcome a new sister program to the state of Maine!
Veterans Upward Bound is a TRIO program that assists veterans beginning or returning to post-secondary education in a variety of ways. The program is tailored to meet individual needs in the following areas:
- Academic & skills assessment
- Tutoring and computer-based instruction
- Academic, financial aid, career and personal counseling
- Classroom instruction in reading, writing, math, as well as computer basics, study skills and other essential subjects
- Assistance in completing college admission & financial aid applications.
If you are a veteran who might be interested in Veterans Upward Bound more information is available on their website: https://usm.maine.edu/trioprograms/veterans-upward-bound.
All around the country, students are starting to get ready to go to college in the fall. Some are going for the first time, recent graduates from high school. Others are returning to college after some time away. Some are confident, sure that they are perfectly ready to hit the ground running. Others are mildly terrified. Most students, however, fall somewhere in between, and waffle from scared to excited from minute to minute. There are a million articles out there about preparing to college, but this one from a counselor in Cleveland has some particularly good advice.
You should definitely check out the whole article, but a few points to highlight include:
- Network and interact with a wide variety of people.
- Seek out a mentor to assist with the transition to college. Limit advice from those who never set foot on a campus for the college experience.
- Use college counselors to stay on track.
Nobody gets through college all on their own! Create your own network of friends and mentors, who can help you succeed.
One place to start is with Student Support Services, a TRIO program available at many colleges. Not sure if your college has TRIO? The Maine Educational Opportunity Association has a list of all TRIO programs in Maine. Would you like an introduction? Your MEOC advisor would be happy to help you find out, just ask!